Thursday, July 17, 2014

summer bloomers

This is my best blooming flower bed right now. From this side you see the red Crocosmia and the purple Gladiolus. Both of these reliably come up every year.  The Gladiolus is from a bulb assortment that Lonnie bought at the Amsterdam airport years ago. There are more colors but they bloom at different times for some reason.


A close up of the Crocosmia. They are supposed to attract hummingbirds but I have never noticed any around the flowers...maybe they come when I'm not looking.


In the back of  the bed are Day Lillies...



Orange ones too. Actually a couple days after I took this photo a lot the blooms were chomped off...only stalks remain. Usually the deer don't bother them. The foliage wasn't touched - I guess only the flowers are tasty.


We have a Mimosa tree in the back field. We didn't plant it...it's a volunteer.


And out by the driveway the Russian Sage is blooming. It's one of my favorites because  the blooms last a long time.


I took some pictures of wildflowers too and I'll show them another time.








No comments:

Post a Comment