Friday, July 11, 2014

string trimmer woes

Earlier this week when I was using my string trimmer, I thought to myself, " this trimmer is so reliable...never a problem out of it".   (But I think that every time I use it.)

Before I was finished trimming, I noticed I was pressing the gas trigger fully but the head wasn't spinning fast enough to cut through the weeds...then it just shut down.

I let it cool off and restarted and it shut down again.

Added "Seafoam" engine treatment and tried to run it again...nope...shut down again.

I got out my manual and it lists only 3 things to do. Change air filter, change spark plug. Adjust carburetor.
The Stihl dealer is right in town here, so I went and bought a new air filter and spark plug. Less than $12.


Crikey!  It sure looks like it was time to change the air filter! And so easy!

Now here is the spark plug. How do you get it out? I have never changed a spark plug in my life.


I had a light bulb moment and remembered this gizmo that has been laying around in the basement for years.
Perfect! So that's what that is for!


I was so excited. I was sure that it would start up and run like new.  It started - then shut right off.
I tried monkeying around with the carburetor settings but probably only made things worse.

I went in the house and threw myself face down on the couch and cried emailed the Sasquatch and asked him to bring his tools along this weekend and take a look at it. He can usually fix things!





No comments:

Post a Comment