Monday, July 14, 2014

quilt is pin basted

We've had a couple of hot muggy days days so I've been mostly inside in the air conditioning making progress my quilt.

I've got the border sewn on but it's not the blue stripes and I had planned to use. It turned out that the blue stripe fabric wasn't quite long enough for the long sides of the quilt without joining sections. I figured I would never get those sections joined with the stripes matching up exactly...so I decided to use this nice blue with a check pattern - it's the same fabric I used as the border on my last quilt.


I layered it with a Hobbs 80/20 batting (80% cotton and 20% polyester) and went with flannel again for the backing.  And that's another story...I wanted to use this bandana print flannel for the backing but the store didn't have enough on the bolt.  I picked the blue polar bear flannel to add, since it was close in color (and its cute!), then added the sporty yellow strip to fill in.

I smoothed it out on the floor then got it pin basted at the kitchen penninsula.

Now, to figure out which thread I should use. I have a cream color or I could use the varigated tan/gold  thread.  The cream will blend in quite a bit and not draw attention to it's self but the varigated might add interest...but really it is pretty busy already.

t


Hmmm, decisions, decisions. 
I will do a little sample of each and see what I think.

Then, I am ready to begin quilting!


4 comments:

  1. Wow, what a great quilt! The work that went into it!! Testing is always a good thing and for me anyway, the choice always seems obvious once I see it on the quilt :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words! I had fun piecing this quilt...trying out different fabric combinations!

      Delete
  2. That blue makes those blocks pop! Great choice.

    ReplyDelete