Tuesday, July 29, 2014

what I am reading

This one, I am 180 something pages in, but I am giving up on it.

"Black House" , a novel by Stephen King and Peter Straub.


The senior center where the Quilting Bees meet has a small library. Members can take out books on the honor system...just return them when you are done. 

I hadn't been getting any books there until I noticed this one on the shelf.  I remember reading a book years ago written by these two authors (The Talisman). It was a good book so I wanted to give this one a try.

"Black House" (purely fictional) started off good...setting up the story, describing a town and it's inhabitants in great detail.  The writing was good, giving back stories and anecdotes about the characters.  A mystery was gradually revealed, suspense was building - then everything just got too far out there.

I like a little bit of supernatural creepiness in a scary story but this went overboard and just got goofy with it.  No longer scary -just weird.  
I believe it may tie in with a storyline in some of King's previous books. I didn't like those either!

I might read a little bit further until the next time I am back at the senior center to return it.
But, I wouldn't recommend this one and I probably won't pick up any more Stephen King books.

No comments:

Post a Comment