Tuesday, July 8, 2014

ranger cookies

This cookie recipe is one that I don't make very often. They aren't really favorites, but they are a good everyday type cookie (as opposed to Christmas cookies etc.)
Lonnie's middle son said he rememberes the taste of these cookies from the lunchroom at school when he was a kid.
I can't remember ever eating them until I baked them the first time.

RANGERS
1 cup shortening or butter (I use a combination of both)
 1 cup white sugar
 1 cup brown sugar
 2 eggs
 1 teaspoon vanilla
 1 teaspoon baking powder
 1 tsp. baking soda
1/2  tsp. salt
 2 cups flour
 2 cups oatmeal
 2 cups corn flakes
 1 cup coconut




In a mixing bowl beat shortening/ butter until fluffy , cream in sugar and brown sugar.

 Add eggs and vanilla, mix well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add this to creamed mixture and blend well.
Stir in oats, cornflakes and coconut...just until these are evenly distributed in batter. Not too long or the cornflakes will get crushed too fine.


Drop by spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven about 9 minutes. We liked them underbaked a little so they'll be chewy.



A side note: I was getting low on vanilla extract and found that the one I have been buying...Penzeys on the left had really increased in price since I last bought it. I picked up this bottle of McCormick at Sams for a fraction of the price.
We can't see much difference by  tasting them straight. I guess the real way to tell is to compare them is in a baked good.  I will have to make a batch of something and split it for a real test.







No comments:

Post a Comment