Tuesday, January 27, 2015

mexican corn

It can be difficult to find a side dish to go with tacos or burritos, aside from the usual rice and beans.
I saw a recipe for "Mexican Blackened Corn" on allrecipes.com ( click here to see it ), that looked good so I wanted to give it a try.

I made several substitutions...and my version was just okay.


I started by sauteing onions and peppers.

The original recipe instructions say to cook fresh corn in a hot skillet until it blackens a bit. 
I used frozen corn and it didn't really blacken...more like browned and turned sort of starchy and dry.


 I  added  the minced garlic, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, cilantro and cooked bacon.

But I had to make substitutions for the beer and cotija cheese... I splashed in some balsamic vinegar and parmesan cheese instead.


I might try a variation of this again...using green peppers for color and just leaving out the cheese.

We had other cheesey dishes anyway...and the whole meal was brownish...not a green vegetable in sight!

Beef and cheese burritos, refried beans, mexican corn and baked sweet potatoes. Sunday dinner.








No comments:

Post a Comment