Tuesday, February 24, 2015

maple walnut pumpkin pie

 I am working my way through that pumpkin that I bought on sale a while back.

This pie recipe is good...but it is really sweet and rich. A small slice will do you!
It's from the allrecipes website but I increased the spices and walnuts to the measurements below.
 I didn't have maple flavoring so I substituted 2 tablespoons of real maple syrup..but I couldn't really detect any maple flavor in the finished pie.


Maple Walnut Pumpkin Pie

1  15 oz. can pumpkin
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 eggs
1 tsp. maple flavoring
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 9" graham cracker pie crust
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup flour
1 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbsp. butter
3/4 cup chopped walnuts


Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Mix together until well blended: pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, maple flavoring, cinnamon, salt, ginger, and nutmeg.  Pour into graham cracker crust. 


Bake 15 minutes then reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking 30 more minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, combine, brown sugar, flour,and cinnamon. Cut in butter until crumbly.


Stir in walnuts and spoon over pie when the 30 minute cooking time is up.

yes - I did burn my crust a little !

Return pie to oven and bake 10 minutes longer.


Allow to cool before slicing and serving.


It really wasn't quite this orange in real life.  Pumpkin and sweet potato dishes can be hard to photograph!

I am not sure if I will make this recipe again. It may be a bit too heavy and "over the top".  I think I prefer the simple pumpkin pie recipe from the Libby's pumpkin can label.











No comments:

Post a Comment