Monday, February 2, 2015

pumpkin bread


Those cans of pumpkin that I found on sale a few weeks ago were waiting for me to start turning them into something good to eat!   My older brother had sent me a recipe for dog biscuits using pumpkin. They looked good, but I don't even have a dog!

This recipe for pumpkin bread from allrecipes.com, has over six thousand glowing reviews, so I thought it would be good to try. We will probably like it better than the dog biscuits, anyway !


Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread
15 oz. can pumpkin
4 eggs
1 cup oil
2/3 cup water
3 cups sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. gound cloves (I didn't add cloves-hate 'em)


Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour three 7x3 inch loaf pans.
In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, water and sugar until well blended.




In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.

 Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended.


 Pour into the prepared pans.
Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven.

I made one large loaf and a few mini loaves. I like the mini loaves because they cook more evenly...the middle gets done quick enough that the edges don't get all dried out.
And they are cute!



If I make this again, I will double up on the spices, as suggested in some of the reviews on the site.
I wonder if  I could use the entire 29 oz. can of pumpkin to give it more pumpkiny flavor and make it more moist?

This would be a good breakfast or snack bread. It's really not a dessert type item...it's more bread-like than cake-like.

There were also recipes for pumpkin gingerbread on the same site...nearly the same as this recipe, only using 2 teaspoons of ginger.  That sounds pretty good...with some cream cheese frosting!
I still have a lot of pumpkin left.

No comments:

Post a Comment