Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Italian beef

My older brother recently mentioned a recipe similar to this that he had tried. It reminded me that we haven't had Italian beef in a while, so that's what was on the menu for Sunday dinner.

A chuck roast ( 4-5 lbs.) is perfect for this because it cooks down so tender and shreds easily. The only other things you need are a jar of sliced peperoncini and a couple of packets of dry Italian dressing mix.


So, first cook the roast. I have an electric pressure cooker that I use, but it can be cooked in the oven.

When the roast is tender, let it cool, then shred it up, removing the extra fat and other unpleasant matter.
Pour the broth in a fat separator. 


Add the shredded beef back to the pan, sprinkle with 2 packets of  the dry Italian salad dressing mix.
Pour in the whole jar of peppers...including the liquid.



 Add back some of the separated broth, enough to make it very moist but not soupy.


Cover and cook a bit longer. About 7 minutes in the pressure cooker or 40 minutes in the oven. 


It's good on it's own or on sandwich buns with a slice of Swiss cheese.


It makes a lot but it freezes really well.

See that potato on the right side of the photo?   It is Pioneer Woman's "Crash Hot Potatoes" recipe...and it's really good.   I use parsley (instead of rosemary) when I make them.
You can see the recipe on her site by clicking    HERE .
Oh, and I like a mixture of butter and olive oil, rather than all olive oil for the potatoes.




4 comments:

  1. Apparently I really cheaped out on the peppers. I'm an IB rookie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think there are lots of different versions of Italian beef...you probably can't really go wrong.
      Yours looked good. It made me hungry for it !

      Delete
  2. I think I just figured out something to do with the left over pork roast...

    ReplyDelete