Friday, April 22, 2016

tried a new recipe


It was a while back when I saw a recipe in Kroger's "My Magazine" for an Israeli dish called "Shakshuka".  It looked so unusual...and pretty good, so I tore out the page and saved it.

Weeks later, Lonnie noticed the recipe picture when I was sorting through a stack of coupons and recipes.
He was interested in too, and I had all the ingredients on hand, so we had it that evening.

We like it!




First dice an onion and a green pepper and saute them in olive oil for about 5 minutes.


Next, mince one clove of garlic, and add that, along with two cans of diced tomatoes.
The original recipe said to add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, but I didn't have that, so squirted in some ketchup instead.


Spice it up with 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon of chili powder, and 1 teaspoon of paprika, (these are important to get the true flavor).
Add cayenne if you like it, and salt and pepper to taste.



Stir and bring to a simmer over medium heat.

Here is the part that you didn't anticipate!

Crack 5 eggs directly into your simmering mixture.  I actually cracked mine into a little bowl, one at a time. and poured them in. I thought it might help them to keep their shape. 


Cover and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.


Serve over rice or noodles, or just have a side of toast with it.

Mine doesn't look as nice as the recipe photo because I didn't want to stir it and disturb the eggs...so most of the liquid is on top. It was chunky like the recipe photo though.

Healthy and low calorie, this dish would be fine for lunch, dinner, or even breakfast.
The eggs do not reheat well, so only cook what you will eat...then cook more if you have leftover sauce.

I'll be making this again!






No comments:

Post a Comment