Monday, August 29, 2016

refrigerator pickles


We are just back from a little trip up north and I haven't had time to get my photos organized and settle back into a routine yet, so here is another post from the Sasquatch.

I have shown pictures of how the Sasquatch made Fermented Pickles, but he also made these Refrigerator Pickles that came out really crunchy and good.

Here are his photos, and instructions...


Thoroughly wash cucumbers and remove about a 1/4 inch of each end. -- Brine ingredients --1 cup of water 1.5 cups of vinegar 1/2 cup sugar 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons of salt Spices

Cut up the cucumbers however you like and pack the jars as full as you can. Combine all the ingredients for the brine and boil. Pour into the jars while still hot, put the lids on, let cool and put in the refrigerator for a week or so before eating.




I used about a 1/4 cup of sugar and thought they were still too sweet. The only spices that I added were a chopped up Golden Cayenne pepper.



You should use non-iodized salt. Salt with iodine will work but it may turn the brine cloudy.









1 comment:

  1. I used a sharpie to mark my cutting board to make futting cukes to the right length for the jars easy. My fermented pickles didn't come out very good though.

    ReplyDelete