Monday, August 1, 2016

breakfast for dinner - again

Even though it hasn't been long since we had a breakfast meal for Sunday dinner, my sons requested that we have it again. My husband always likes breakfast foods so he was looking forward to it, too.

I think the reason they like it is because its meat, bread, potatoes...none of those annoying green vegetables!

We had Tennessee Pride hot sausage, Wright brand thick cut bacon, hash browns, Ham and Swiss Crescent, home made drop biscuits and white gravy, scrambled eggs with peppers, onions and cheese, and waffles. I did put a bowl of sliced cucumbers on the table but they were ignored.


Both boys brought some good things over this week.

Chopper brought some sweet, juicy Clementines he'd bought at Paul's Fruit Market.  Perfect to go with the meal since I didn't make the usual fruit salad.

The Sasquatch brought some jars of his refrigerator pickles. He made them from his own cucumbers. 
Some were sliced and some were spears...each with a few slices of his golden cayenne peppers. One jar was pickle spears and carrots.  Tangy and good with just the right amount of sweetness.


I had some bananas that needed to be used up, and I was going to make my Frosted Banana Bars  recipe for dessert, but then I saw this recipe online called Best Ever Banana Cake (click that to see the recipe).

I tried that instead. It's pretty similar but I have to say that I think it's a better recipe.  It has more of a fluffy cake texture than the banana bars I've been making. 


One thing I would change next time...not so much butter in the frosting. It calls for a whole stick but I think 2 or 3 Tablespoons would be enough.


It would have been a huge cake but I divided the batter into two 9" square pans to bake, then wrapped one for the freezer (without frosting).

A heavy downpour of rain later in the evening...nice to watch through the kitchen window as I was putting things back in order.



Edited later to say: the Banana Cake recipe instructs you to take the cake right from the hot oven and cool it in the freezer. 
That seemed like nonsense to me. I just cooled it on the counter.


No comments:

Post a Comment