Tuesday, September 16, 2014

flowers and berries

Even though it is the middle of September there are still a lot of flowers blooming - some in the yard and some wild.

In the flower beds it's the Autumn Joy Sedum.  The name makes me think of my sister, Joy, since her birthday is in October...she is "Autumn Joy" too.

These are so reliable. I have several bunches of them growing..all divisions from one plant I bought probably 12 years ago. They reach their peak bloom time when other blooms have played out.



Ordinary Marigolds... but they are some of my favorite annuals. Cheerful fall color!

The field next to our house is a sea of yellow Goldenrod.  The perfect shade of yellow!


Over on one edge is a patch of " Jewelweed" or "Touch -Me - Nots" ( the small orange flowers). If you brush your hand over the blooms the seeds will pop out of the flower! These are a little past their prime.


A few Thistle blooms. Such a pretty flower for such an annoying and invasive plant.


Now...the berries. First the dogwood tree in the front yard. Birds will eat every one of these. They are not entirely ripe yet.


At the edge of the woods is such a pretty little tree with it's shiny leaves and red berries.It's a "Carolina Buckthorn" or "Indian Cherry". I have wanted to transplant one to my yard but they seem to be an understory type tree...preferring some shade.

Wild Grapes. They are food for wildlife but I don't like them because they choke out so many trees.


I am working on a mum bed for a little more fall color in the yard. All of mine were killed off by last winter's harsh weather. I hope to have that finished this week









No comments:

Post a Comment