Monday, September 15, 2014

Vanilla Pie

One of my favorite stories to tell is about this kind of pie....

A couple of years after we moved to Bullitt County, I thought it might be fun to enter something in the county fair.
 I decided to bake a pie to enter, using this recipe.

There were a few pie categories...fruit pie, custard pie, and so forth. This one didn't fit any category except "other pie".

The rules stated to bring 1/4 of a pie on a paper plate and your $3 entry fee the morning they were to be judged . I dropped it off at the fairgrounds and went on to work.

After a couple of days passed I realized the only way to find out if  I'd won anything was to go to the fair and see. So I went to the fair and paid my $5 entrance fee.

I found the pie exhibits and was tickled to see that I had won a third place ribbon!  The happy feeling only lasted a few seconds as I realized that only 3 pies had been entered in that category!  There was no one else to give the 3rd place ribbon to.

A week or so later I received my ribbon and $3 prize money in the mail.  That's my pie story!


Anyway...here is my prize winning recipe....



Vanilla Pie

filling
 1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
2 Tblsp. flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups water
1 Tblsp. vanilla extract

topping
1 cup flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 cup butter

...and 1 unbaked pie crust

In a small sauce pan combine filling ingredients except the vanilla extract. Whisk together until mixed well and bring to a boil over medium high heat stirring frequently. Remove from heat, allow to cool, then whisk in vanilla extract.

( Note...be sure this filling is really mixed thoroughly before you begin heating it...otherwise, small bits of egg will seek each other out and cook up into scrambled eggs- which will be suspended in your pie filling and will not look appetizing in your pie...so you will have to pour the mixture through a strainer to get the egg bits out.  Not saying that this has happened to me...just alerting you to the possibility!)

Meanwhile, while filling is cooling, prepare topping mixture. Mix dry ingredients together in a deep bowl or large measuring cup. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly.


criss cross 2 knives repeatedly to cut in butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Pour filling into unbaked pie crust and gently spoon on the topping.




Bake about 40 minutes or until filling seems thickened (when you jiggle the pan).
Don't let the top get too dark.




It's good with Cool Whip..and probably good with vanilla ice cream.









No comments:

Post a Comment