Tuesday, September 9, 2014

identified that big weed

Several days ago I showed a photo of a big weed with pretty leaves and flowers, that I did not know the name of.


Then it developed these spiky pods and I was able to search online using that description.

It is a...

datura stramonium  (you can click that to see the article about them.)

Also called Jimson weed.

It is poisonous to livestock but humans have used it medicinally, even though it can cause hallucinations or even cause death in the wrong dosages.

The blooms open at night and are pollinated by moths. Those pods will dry out and open and release dozens of seeds.

It is a native plant here but I am not sure if I will chop it down before those seed pods mature or just leave it be.  It's pretty but it seems a little dangerous to have around.

No comments:

Post a Comment