Friday, November 7, 2014

a tiny pie

It seems like I am always showing desserts on here. Baking is probably my favorite type of cooking and baked goods sure look better in photos than, say...a bowl of green beans or something!

I had bought two 6" pie pans a while back, to use when it's just the two of us here and we don't need a big pie sitting around getting soggy before we eat it all.

We had some extra apples so I decided to make a tiny apple pie.

First the crust.   1 cup flour, 1/3 cup crisco shortening, 1/2 tsp. salt, and water to make the dough.
See how small the pie pan is ?


I peeled and diced the apples into a bowl and tossed them with sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg...and placed them in the crust. 

The extra dough was cut into strips for lattice.


Added a few small chunks of butter between the lattice and baked at 425 degrees for 12 minutes, then turned the oven down to 350 degrees and baked another 30 minutes. (Putting a pie into a hotter oven to start out, cooks the crust quickly before it can get soggy.)


How cute!  Just the right size.


Many apple pie recipes say to use Granny Smith apples. That's a puzzle to me. Why start with sour apples and have to add more sugar to sweeten them up?  Am I missing something?

The ones I used for this pie were Fujis and they were good in there.





No comments:

Post a Comment