Saturday, November 29, 2014

borders added to quilt top

I have finished up my quilt top by adding purple borders.


Usually when I make a baby quilt, I try to keep it around 42" wide. That way a single width of fabric is wide enough for the back.  This quilt is 48" wide so I had to piece together a backing.


Here is a close up of the backing fabric. The green one has numbers and the pink one has letters...just right for a pre-schooler...plus lots of animals to look at!


Now all I need to do is finish whip stitching some batting pieces together and I will be ready to pin baste it for quilting.


I could zig zag these batting pieces on the machine but sometimes I get a bumpy ridge when I do it that way.  Sewing them this way is pretty quick, anyway.



10 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! What a great baby quilt! It's so bright and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a small quilt to quilt, I'm planning on piecing the batting. If I can't find the fusible interfacing I cut up a few years ago then I'm stealing this idea! : )
    I recently finished a quilt similar to yours, I even used a purple border. Your quilt is fun and bright.

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen! The whip stitching holds the batting together very well...and it will be joined and strengthened by the quilting too.
      I try to use as many of my batting trimmings as I can...it saves money that I can spend non fabric instead!

      Delete
  3. What a fun quilt for a toddler! He or she will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, thank you! It was a fun quilt to sew!

      Delete
  4. What a cute baby quilt! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorite patterns. Very cute and colorful baby quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank's Kate, I liked sewing this pattern...and I would use it again...except I always like to try a pattern I haven't sewn before.

      Delete