Thursday, December 4, 2014

Bernheim walk, again

We had a drizzly day earlier this week, but it cleared up a little in the afternoon, so Lonnie and I drove down to Bernheim Forest for a walk around the lake.  It was misty or foggy, beautiful really, although the trees have lost all their leaves.



We walked around in the opposite direction this time and paused at this overlook.  Here, Lonnie is reading a plaque that
is a dedication to Bertram Bernheim by his grandson Issac Burnham

So it appears that someone changed the spelling of the last name at some point.  We started speculating about what would cause them to change it.... maybe to make it more Americanized? (Bernheim is a German name) Or, maybe just to make it easier to spell?  Or, to make it easier for others to pronounce?


Behind where I was standing to take this photo is a small cemetery where some Bernheims/Burnhams are buried. Next time I am out there I will look at the dates on the headstones.

 We finished our walk just in time...just after we got in the car it started sprinkling rain again. 


Later, I worked on Christmas ornaments.  Three finished. I might call it quits on these for now.
I enjoy sewing something bigger...not so much little fiddley things like this.


They are cute though, maybe I'll make one more.







6 comments: