Saturday, December 20, 2014

more....food...will it ever end?

I have to apologize for showing more food...but that's all I have been looking at.  I've been getting things prepared ahead for a family gathering here at our house.
I've made chili and chicken & dumplings.


My cookies and candy have been giving me problems this year.
I tried a new recipe for pistachio cookies that turned out to be a little disappointing.
My chocolate fudge isn't exactly as firm as it should be.
I used  a bargain brand butter in my sugar cookies and they flattened out (it was that Kroger "Pssst" brand, hope I never have to ask for that one by name!)

I tried a candy recipe that my husband remembered his mother making when he was a kid. I never really wanted to make it, but then my friend, Sandy was talking about making some, so I decided to give it a try.

It involves making a dough with mashed potatoes and powdered sugar. You roll this out and smear with peanut butter, then roll it up and slice it.  That's it. Seriously. Candy?

Sure, I took pictures... Before it all turned into a nightmarish, sticky, oozing blob.


It was a complete failure. Maybe it picked up on my bad attitude. The whole mess is now in a ziploc bag in the bottom of the refrigerator. Later on I might try heating it up a little and stirring in some rice krispies, then shape it into balls or something.

Anyway, I believe we have enough sweets around the house. Lonnie's brother, Don, sent us a FOUR POUND box of candy!



We will definitely be sharing some of that with our guests!


2 comments:

  1. Your soups both look tasty. I made navy bean soup and deer vegetable soup yesterday. Looking for an impossible cottage cheese pie recipe now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impossible Cottage Cheese Pie.
    1 1/2 cup sugar
    3 eggs
    Creme together
    3/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup baking mix (eg. Bisquick)
    Combine until lump free
    12 oz cottage cheese
    1 stick butter
    Vanilla
    Combine everything
    Pour in a buttered dish
    350 for 45 minutes.

    ReplyDelete