Saturday, December 6, 2014

spiced garbanzo beans

This is a recipe that I tore out of a  Penzy's Spices catalog several months ago. Canned garbanzo beans are made in to a crunchy snack.

It looked interesting but it's a little unusual and I didn't try it right away.  Then, last night I was sorting through some papers and came across the recipe.
I was ready to toss it in the trash, but then I decided I would just go ahead and try it since I had the ingredients.



Spiced Garbanzo Beans
1.  15 oz. can garbanzo beans, well drained
2 Tblsp. vegetable oil ( I used olive oil)
1 Tblsp. flour
Spices...the original recipe calls for 1 tsp. ground coriander, 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper and  
1/4 tsp. salt.  I didn't have coriander so I just substituted a seasoned salt blend .

In a bowl, combine beans, oil, flour and spices. Toss with a spoon to fully coat beans.

Spread on a rimmed baking sheet and bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 30 minutes or until crisp.  I stirred the beans around a couple of times during baking.


Allow to cool then munch away on them.  They do shrink up a bit.

Lonnie and I both liked them. Crunchy and slightly nutty...sort of like the Corn Nuts you buy at the store but not quite so hard. A somewhat healthy snack because of the fiber and protein of the beans.

I wonder if you could make a sweet version using sugar and cinnamon or would the sugar burn before the beans got crunchy?

Oooh...what if you used some of that wasabi powder?  It would be like those wasabi peas...which are probably baked about like the beans in this recipe.

I will be picking up a few cans of garbanzos at the grocery to try a couple of variations of this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment