Monday, August 10, 2015

bean soup and jalapeno snackers

One day last week the temperature was a bit cooler and it was cloudy and rainy. A good day for soup!

I think I've only made one batch of soup since last spring...so it was a nice change from what we've been eating..

I decided on bean soup since there was ham in the freezer (from Easter!).


When I try making soup with dried beans, I am never happy. The beans just don't seem to soften up properly...mushy outside, dry inside.

My favorite beans for soup are the "Randall" beans...pinto or great northern.  This time I also added a can of black beans to make things interesting.

I dice carrots and onions and saute in a little oil (or bacon grease). Add chopped ham.


Then pour in beans, including liquid. Add bay leaves, cumin, pepper and Tony Chachere's seasoning,


Simmer until all veggies and beans are tender and soup is thickened. Add salt if needed. Sometimes I squirt some ketchup in there too...if it needs to be perked up a little.  Sometimes, balsamic vinegar.



Also that same day, I tried using up some of the jalapeno peppers from Lonnie's garden. Those plants just keep on producing.


I roasted them in the oven at 450 degrees.


Then sliced them lengthwise and took out most of the seeds and pulp. I put some shredded mozzarella and cheddar on the halves and sprinkled with garlic powder and panko crumbs. 


Then popped them back into the oven until the cheese melted.


They looked pretty but they were deadly HOT!  It was a sneaky heat that builds slowly!
I had eaten 3 halves before I realized that my mouth was really starting to burn. Owie!

Lonnie liked them and ate quite a few. I don't know how he did it. 

I need to figure out a different way to use the rest of those jalapenos.





No comments:

Post a Comment