Friday, January 15, 2016

Essenhaus Noodles


A few years ago, my parents went on a short trip with Lonnie and me, to northern Indiana, where we visited a couple of car museums and traveled through Amish country.

We made a stop for dinner at "Das Dutchman Essenhaus Restaurant",  which is actually a whole complex with a restaurant, bakery, gift shop, grocery and more.

I can't remember what I ate at the restaurant but I know it was good. What I do remember, is buying some Amish peanut butter and a bag of these noodles in their gift shop.
The noodles were good - above average, hearty and filling!


It turns out that you don't have to drive to Middlebury, Indiana to get these noodles. They are available at Kroger stores in our area. 

Recently, I had a nice amount of leftover rotisserie chicken, so I decided to grab a bag of these noodles and make some chicken noodle soup.


It was one of those "no recipe" soups.  As usual, I started by sauteeing diced celery, carrots and onions. Used chicken base to make some broth and added a dab of leftover peas and the chicken.
Added noodles and simmered until they were done.


I like the wide noodles even though they can be messy to eat...but Essenhaus also has skinnier noodles...three or four sizes, I think.


Ahhh, hot chicken soup on a cold day. What could be better?





No comments:

Post a Comment