I was concerned that it has a sort of stiff feeling (as opposed to soft and drapey). I think that is partly because the fabrics were not pre-washed and partly because it has a lot of close together quilting. It needed a lot of quilting though...because it's heavy and it had to be strong for everyday use... and to hold all the layers in place (used two battings).
With time and use it will probably soften up more.
I had plenty enough fabric for the backing, but the Sasquatch had one request...some way to easily know the head from the foot...so I added a black strip to one end on the back.
Outside, hanging sideways. It looks better from a distance. When you're close it's harder to see the dimensional effect.
You can see the texture of the quilting better out here too.
Here is some of the quilting close up. All done on my regular sewing machine while listening to the radio or half watching old "Frasier" reruns on my little TV, up in my sunny sewing room.
Looking back, I see that I made the first block in August, so I've been working on it off and on for nearly six months. I have enjoyed the challenge of making it and I'm happy with how it came out.
Now I'm ready to clean and oil the machine, reorganize my sewing area, and get started on something else!
There's that 2015 "block of the month" quilt to finish up, and a quilt I'm planning as someone's birthday gift.
Plus I just found out there will be a baby girl arriving in June on my husbands side of the family. She will have to have a quilt too, of course!
Time to get busy!