Friday, May 27, 2016

Crazy Quilters meeting

Last night was Crazy Quilters group sewing.  I wasn't able to make it to the meeting last month so I had to catch upon what everyone had been doing. Well, those that were there...only about eight of us.

Even though it is a quilting group, sometimes someone will bring something different to work on.

Lee brought in her gourd project...


The bowl shaped part is actually a dried gourd with the top removed. Lee had stamped a colorful design on the gourd (later it will get a glossy protective coat of varnish).
Then she began forming a collar around the top opening, using moistened basket making materials and fastening them together with a sturdy thread. 


Lee showed me some photos of other gourd projects - and I think this is something I'd like to try doing sometime!


Linda was re-working the binding of this enormous quilt that her mother made. Each block has a pretty embroidered design and is framed by strips of lace. 


The embroidery is the same color as the soft muslin fabric of the background...so it's hard to see in any of the photos I snapped.  Here is a close up of one of the blocks...



and another...

After Linda does a little more patching on it, it will go back to her mother, who uses it on her guest room bed.
Linda also brought a delicious chocolate cake to share. It was four layers high, with pudding filling and a fudge-y cream cheese frosting.  So good!


Jan was working on a baby quilt for a new little family member who is expected to arrive  later this year. 
She is using bright and modern fabrics...black and white and a spring green.  Unfortunately, when I took the picture, the blocks were all wrong side up.   She has them laid out in a specific arrangement and wanted to keep them in the right order. 




And here are the finished April "block of the month" blocks that four of us brought in. 
Well, I had to finish my block up as soon as I got there and got my sewing machine set up.
 Wouldn't it be pretty to have a whole quilt made from tulip blocks in different colors?


So here are my blocks finished so far for this quilt...January, February, March and April.


A couple of the ladies started on their May block right away when they got their instructions.
I want to keep making progress on my big quilt before I do anything else.






No comments:

Post a Comment