Thursday, June 9, 2016

a weedy walkway

When we moved here, there was no sidewalk from the driveway to the front door.   We always use the back door anyway and so does everyone who knows us.

At one point we had some cobblestones removed from a wall inside the house (too much weight) and at the time it seemed like a good idea to use those to make a side walk.  But after a few years they became uneven and treacherous to walk on, so those were taken up and now we have a walk way made of pavers.

I like it but it's not exactly maintenance free.  It has to be weeded.


But first, I need to deal with this daffodil greenery (the long skinny leaves).  You aren't supposed to trim it until it's no longer green - the leaves gather energy to store in the bulbs for next year. Meanwhile, it's sprawled out looking sickly for weeks.


Some people make these little tied bundles of the leaves, but they are sort of weird looking in the flower bed. I mostly just coaxed the leaves to lay down behind the Hostas.



Much nicer.


Usually I sprinkle this "Preen" on the walk but I forgot to do it this spring.. It prevents anything from growing.  
I normally don't like to use chemicals, but I make an exception here.


I still need to buy some more sand to fill in between the pavers.  Somehow it disappears. I guess it washes away or sinks into the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment