Tuesday, April 8, 2014

a time to sow...instead of sew

We had a couple of pretty days last week and so we were able to add a little more dirt to our raised garden beds and get a few seeds planted.

We each have a 4' x 8'  bed.  They are divided  in half with one half being deeper for things that are more deeply rooted.  The wood is cedar so hopefully it will resist rot for a few years. They were easy to put together. The slats were cut to slide right in to a dovetailed slot cut in the posts.
I was able to set it up to enclose the water hydrant in one corner of  Lonnie's bed...that's one less thing to trim around this summer.


 Here you can see that Lonnie has planted sticks in his shallow part and will use the deep part for those tomatoes he is starting from seed...which ,by the way, are not showing any sprouting yet (indoors). I think they need to be in a warmer area.



Just kidding about planting sticks. He really planted a few onion sets and also seeds for green onions.


I didn't get any pictures of my bed. I will show it later when things start coming up.
I planted beets, kale and snow peas.



No comments:

Post a Comment