Friday, April 11, 2014

some strawberries to use up

Last Saturday, at the grocery, I found strawberries on sale so I bought a couple of packages thinking I could use them for dessert on Sunday.

Well, then it turned out that no one was here Sunday...so now I have to figure out how to use these strawberries.

I have eaten a few in cereal but there are a lot...too many to eat before they ruin.


I searched around to see what I might have on hand, to use with them for a dessert.


Found a jar of strawberry rhubarb pie filling I bought on a close out special a few months back. No graham crackers for a crust though...but surely some vanilla pudding would
 compliment the fruit!

I considered making strawberry banana bread since these bananas are looking pretty unhappy,too. I just didn't think there would be much strawberry flavor  once it was baked.
So forget the bananas for now.

I did use the half&half for part of the milk in the pudding. I always buy skim milk so I keep either cream or half&half on hand to add to recipes that might need to be a little richer.

The strawberries were not very sweet so I sprinkled some sugar on them.


Then mixed in with the pie filling.


Layered the strawberry mix with the pudding in this glass bowl. It looked pretty and tasted good


I peeled the bananas and put them in the freezer for making banana bread another day.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment