Monday, April 14, 2014

what I am working on

I am participating in a "Block of the Month" sew along with ladies at one of my quilt groups (Mt Washington Quilting Bees).

When doing a Block of the Month, a leader guides the group in selecting a quilt pattern...one that is made out of different types of blocks.
The leader then gives out the instructions for only one block each month at a meeting. The next month everyone brings their completed blocks in to show and they receive instructions for the next block and so on.

Knowing you will have to take your work in to show keeps you moving forward with your quilt and it is interesting to see what fabrics and colors others have chosen to use for their blocks.

Here is the quilt we are doing. "America the Beautiful" from McCall's 'America Quilts Together' (Autumn 2012)

The first block was the "sun" block - here is mine...

Next, the barn, which I've done over. The first time the fabric I used for the roof was too close in color to my tree backgrounds, which you will see in a minute.


Next was the fields...the checkered section at the bottom. Then, the trees. We took more than one month to make the trees since there are something like 27 of them. Here is everything I have finished so far...not arranged as the end lay out will be though.


The finished quilt will be about 72" x 92".

I am keeping up with this one plus doing another completely different Block of the Month quilt too. I will show it another time.

I like having different things to work on. If I don't feel like working on a particular thing I can pick up something else.





2 comments:

  1. I have this magazine and have always loved the different houses and barn blocks. You're doing a beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete