Thursday, April 3, 2014

working on a group charity quilt


One of my quilting groups is working on charity quilts to be donated to a children's home. I brought part of this one home to square up the blocks and sew a couple of rows together.

The blocks are called 'Bullseye' blocks.  Each person makes 1 or more blocks following a pattern...topstitching raw edge circles on their block.  Each block is then cut into quarters and they are rearranged and sewn to 4 different block quarters.


See the raw edges? They are supposed to unravel with time,giving the quilt a fringe-y look.

As they are sewn together it isn't necessary to match the circles edges, but the center seams should line up.

Here, I had all the blocks laid out to see how it would look..

It's amazingly pretty considering how many different fabrics are in there. I probably wouldn't choose to make this kind of quilt for myself...I think the threads from the raw edges would be everywhere and maybe clog up the washing machine too.

I sewed 3 rows together and another group member sewed 4 rows and made one more block. We will take them in at the next meeting and see who wants to finish up and maybe add borders.



No comments:

Post a Comment