Monday, April 7, 2014

working on a wool project

I always have wanted to try a wool applique project, or a Penny Rug.

I thought that the term "Penny Rug" was only for wool items decorated with circles but I learned that any appliqued wool pieces are called Penny Rugs.

It is believed that the term came from the nineteenth century, when coins would be used as templates for circles cut from leftover wool or wool from worn out garments. The concentric circles would be sewn to a burlap or feed sack background. These handcrafts  were not used on the floor but more as  decorative pieces or coverings.


I bought this little pin cushion kit at a the quilt show in Cincinnati last year but I am just now getting around to working on it.


I like how it is looking even though some of the thread I am blanket stitching with is a little brighter than it should be.
I still need to attach the green leaves and embroider the stems and stitch the legs on the bird. Then it will be ready to sew to the back on and fill with ground walnut shells for a pincushion.

It's relaxing hand work and easy to take along to work on when there is a spare moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment