Monday, April 21, 2014

strawberries again...but it's pie this time

Before I show my strawberry pie recipe -I have to show you my grocery receipt...


Holy Cow!! I accidentally picked up organic  strawberries instead of the regular ones...actually I got 2 organic and one regular. The organic were $5.99 each versus the regular, which you can see were on sale for $1.88. 
They were all together in the same display case...grrrr.

Of course I didn't see this until I was home . I thought the total bill was a little high and so took a close look at the receipt. Then, I hopped in the Jeep and took those organic berries back to the store and returned them. 

Now on to the pies...

First, its...

Graham Cracker Crust (makes one crust - double it for the pie recipe below )

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter

Just mix this up real good and press it into your pie pan. Bake at 350 degrees. Cool before filling.


I use my stand mixer to crush the graham crackers - Then add the other ingredients and mix thoroughly.


Press into pie pan...

While the crust is baking and cooling you can prepare this embarrassingly easy....

Strawberry Pie (this makes 2 pies)

1 cup sugar
2 1/2 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 1/2 cups water
small box strawberry jello
2 pounds(pints) strawberries

Mix sugar and cornstarch n a pan. Stir in water. 

Bring to a boil and cook until thickened..it only takes a few minutes.

Remove from heat and add jello ( from the package - not prepared)

Mix until Jello is dissolved. Allow to cool. While this is cooling you can rinse and stem your strawberries and slice them into a bowl. When Jello mixture is cooled; fold into berries.

Once the crusts have cooled completely; fill with the berry mixture. Refrigerate several hours. I usually spread cool whip over the top of the pies just before serving.

This recipe originally came from Granny Marion. She used a regular pie crust and so did I for a long time. It's good that way too.



I have a confession. I also accidentally bought "light" butter. Duh. 


Wonder what that is going to taste like?  I think I need to be more careful at the grocery store!








No comments:

Post a Comment