Thursday, April 17, 2014

what to do with those big breasts?

..chicken breasts!
I had thawed out a package of chicken breasts without a firm plan for how I would cook them.  I decided on a stir fry with pasta.

.

Those mushrooms on the left were marked down at the grocery a few days ago. I went ahead and cleaned, sliced and cooked them the day I bought them to keep them from spoiling. Does that make any sense? They are still the same age.. but more appealing than if  I had left them in the package.

I sliced up a red pepper and an onion and stir fried them in olive oil. I added a little diced garlic just before I took them off the heat. Garlic can turn bitter over high heat.


I had my pasta cooking at the same time. I put aside the veggies and stir fried the sliced chicken breasts In a good amount of olive oil. The reason I removed the veggies?..moisture they release steams the chicken  instead of allowing it to brown.


Then added the cooked veggies and mushrooms back into the skillet, with a couple of big spoons of chicken soup base and some basil.
When everything was heated through, I added the cooked and drained pasta and sprinkled with parmesan.


 A pretty quick one dish meal!

 

Any kind of pasta could be used...but I like a larger sized pasta that won't get overcooked and gooey when combined with other hot ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment