Friday, August 1, 2014

a little dude tries sewing

Lonnie's son and 6 year old grandson were in town for a visit this week.

 I was sewing on the screen porch when they arrived. Lonnie asked if they would like to sit out there awhile too, so I just kept sewing while we were talking.

I noticed the little dude was watching my sewing machine work so I asked him if he would like to give it a try. I folded a long piece of fabric so he could sew down the sides and make a bag.
I showed him to keep his hands away from the needle and I set the machine to the slowest speed.


He did amazingly well !  I even let him turn the speed up a notch.  

He did a nice job on his bag but he wasn't really impressed with it and asked to make something else.
Mittens...he wanted to make mittens! (he lives in Florida)

I went in  the house and found some fleece scraps. I drew around his hand and cut the pieces. I had to guide them through the machine while he controlled the pedal, since there were a lot of curves  They turned out a little too tight in the wrists and of course they were too hot...so we just cut the ends off of them. 


By this time he was losing interest and wanted to see if the machine would do something more exciting if different buttons were pushed...so I ended the sewing session and took him in the house to find a snack.
It was fun. He is a good and smart kid.

It makes me nostalgic for when my boys were little. 


In a different and solo sewing session I finished up the quilting on the "Bear Paws" quilt.


Got the edges trimmed and the corners squared. Now it just needs a binding. I hope to get that on before next week so I can take it for "show & tell" at the Quilting Bees meeting.









No comments:

Post a Comment