Friday, August 8, 2014

quilt is finished!

I have finished up the quilt I intended to be a Fathers Day gift. Oh well, we haven't had any cold weather to put it to use since then anyway.
I sometimes need to be under pressure to get a project finished so I was stitching down the label in the car on the way over to take it to my father.


The book where I found the pattern called this a Barristers Block, but a couple of my quilting friends said they think it is a Bear's Paw block.

Since it is for my "Paw"... I think Bears Paw is an appropiate name.

Anyway, the blocks are 8" blocks, set 8x10.... So with borders it is about 70" x 86".

 
It's hard to see the quilting in these pictures. I machine quilted it on my Brother PQ1500S
, doing a meandering stipple.  I used a Hobbs 80/20 batting (That's 80% cotton and 20% polyester).


On the back, I used flannel. I wanted the bandana print for the whole thing...bandana handkerchiefs are almost my dad's trademark..he always has one in his pocket.
Unfortunately, the store didn't have nearly enough so I filled in with another blue print and a sporty yellow stripe. The flannel gives the quilt some nice weightiness.


I did a butted edge binding for the first time and I didn't have the problem with edges rippling. It seemed easier and made nice square corners but I need to learn how to trim some of the bulkiness out of the corners as they are sewn.
I really enjoyed working on this quilt! I picked plaids because I thought it would give the quilt a more manly look. At times I was worried that it was too bright. As I finished it up I was happy with the whole thing. I feel like it looks cheery and homey. 


10 comments:

  1. I love your quilt! Plaids and Flannel for the back makes a perfect man quilt. I love a flannel back. My dad is a hanky man too. Another to add to the list of I want to makes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Judy! This is the second time I've used a flannel backing. I like working with it too...but it does get my machine very linty. Just need to clean it after quilting with flannel.

      Delete
  2. That is a great quilt! I love it - Paw for Pa lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alycia. I don't name my quilts but I kept thinking of names for this one using that play on words ;-) .

      Delete
  3. Your quilt is wonderful. Scrappy quilts are always a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate that, Jo! Scrappy quilts are fun to sew - it's like a new little suprise each time a block is completed,!

      Delete