Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Quilting Bees at the state fair

Every year at State Fair time the Mt Washington Quilting Bees take a turn demonstrating needlework in the textiles area. It's just for one day..usually about 4 or 5 hours.

We get free parking and admission to the fair for the day.

When you go to the Kentucky State Fair, the first thing to do is have your photo taken with "Freddy Farm Bureau"  he is an 18 ft tall talking greeter for fair goers.

I had to share my photo session with a little dog in a stroller. I didn't mind and I don't think he did either.


In the East Wing, the Bees were gathering at the demonstration tables and unpacking their projects to work on.


We just sat and sewed and talked to anyone who approached our tables and seemed interested. It was fun talking to people. Even those who don't do needlework would have a story of a quilter in their family or a treasured quilt that was made for them when they were baby.



At times there would be a pretty good crowd around our area...mostly the ladies of course.


After our demonstration I took time to walk through the rows of quilts that were entered for judging. So much talent and creativity! It would be hard to pick a favorite.







Then I spent a little time looking around the other areas..such a wide variety!

There were baby animals...piglets with their mama....doesn't this look like such an easy way to feed the kids their lunch ?   She had either 9 or 10 babies - she deserves to rest!


These little ducklings were so funny.  Their tub was set up so that they would climb a ramp to get to their food dish, which was just high enough that they had to jump up to get a bite of food. As they came back down they would land on a slide and down they went.. right back in the water.

 Then they swam around and started all over again.



Next, on to the cakes, pies and candy entries.  My gosh! Don't these all look so good!
 I think I was gaining weight just being in the room with them!

 Yum!

Enough of that!

The state police had a big display area. How long has it been since you've had one of these behind you?



There was a lot more I didn't see but my feet were saying "let's go!" so I headed out through the goat showing area. This one was getting a trim and a vacuum before his moment in the spotlight.


My mouth wanted to stop and get a $4 corndog but my feet just kept traveling toward the parking lot...past the midway, which wasn't busy at all at the time.


It was an enjoyable way to spend the day. 










No comments:

Post a Comment