Monday, July 25, 2016

a "stay inside" Sunday

We barely opened the door on Sunday! Just long enough to let Chopper and the Sasquatch inside for dinner.  It was another miserably hot and humid day.

Nice and cool inside though, and I had filled the bird feeders and watered the plants the day before so no reason to go outside anyway...certainly not to get in the pool - it's as warm as bathwater!

For dinner, I made this Swedish Meatballs  recipe for the second time.  I won't be making it again. We sort of liked it the first time, but this time there were some likes and some dislikes.
It has a strange-to-us combination of spices (allspice, nutmeg, and ginger) that doesn't seem to grow on us.  I followed the recipe exactly, except I baked the meatballs rather than frying them.

But anyway, that's what we had for Sunday dinner, along with mashed potatoes, extra sour cream gravy (the gravy that's on the meatballs), roasted cabbage, creamed corn, cucumber slices and cantaloupe.



For dessert, I tried something different.  Mangoes had been on sale at the grocery, so I bought three of them and substituted them for some of the peaches in a Fresh Peach Cobbler.

Mangoes are not easy to work with! 
I never know if I should peel the skin off the mango or peel the mango off the skin!


The mangoes made the cobbler more tart and citrus-y.  It was okay for a change but I don't think I would make it like this again.

A dollop of vanilla ice cream helped to balance out the tartness.


Later on we opened the door just wide enough to let our sons out with some leftover meatballs and cobbler.  

Hopefully this is our worst weather this summer and the temperatures will go a bit lower!



No comments:

Post a Comment