Saturday, May 3, 2014

a good day for soup

After working out in the yard these past cloudy ,windy days, when the temperature didn't get much above 60 degrees  - it was nice to come in and just reheat this soup I had cooked in the morning.

No particular recipe - just using what I had on hand.


Most all the time I start with onions and carrots (sometimes celery but not this time).
Sauteed in olive oil until onions brown a little on the edges.

Chicken broth, a big jar of beans, cauliflower and kale.  This kale is some that I bought fresh and had to blanch and freeze because I wasn't able to use it quickly enough.

Pretty healthy, right?   No meat, the beans make it filling.  Sorry for this messy looking photo, but this is how it looks when I cook!


I added more liquid and some spices...bay leaf, cumin, basil, etc., then simmered until cauliflower was tender. 
It came out pretty good and I was glad to have a hot meal ready in minutes when I came in that evening.


Even better the next day...soup usually is, though.





No comments:

Post a Comment