Wednesday, May 14, 2014

salmon spread

Salmon is supposed to be so healthy to eat - I wish I liked it. I have tried cooking fresh salmon and also ordering it at restaurants. I just can't seem to develop a taste for it.

This is a pretty good snack spread using canned salmon. Someday, I'd like to try making it using fresh cooked salmon...it might be even better.

Here are the basic ingredients...


And these


Salmon Spread
6 oz. Can pink salmon
8 oz. Cream cheese
3\4 cup sour cream
1 Tbsp. minced onion
1 tsp. horseradish
lemon pepper or salt and pepper - to taste
few drops liquid smoke flavoring
dill and/or parsley to taste...maybe 1/2 tsp. or more

First take care of that canned salmon!
The worst thing about canned salmon is how it looks right out of the can.  Eeek! Ick!

I buy the larger can even though the recipe calls for a small can. This way I can really clean out all the bones and skin and darkish parts (those areas have a stronger taste) and still have lots of meat left. 
Now this looks better...almost like tuna. Why can't they give it to us in the can like that?


Once you have the salmon ready; combine all the other indredients then add the salmon. Mix well and refrigerate a couple of hours for the flavors to meld.

The finished spread...

 It is good on 'Socialite' crackers or 'Bagel Crisps'...definitely needs something crunchy since the spread is so creamy.

1 comment:

  1. Made similar, used less dairy, think I'll try it your way. Agreed on salmon just out of the can. The doggies like the gaggy parts. I remember a certain "chef" serving up the family "salmon cakes" containing those backbones scattered thru them... Salmon, like most things, is good deep fried. Can "cleaned" salmon, about 1/4 as much each diced onion and celery, egg to bind. I use a small portioner/icecream scoop and get 16-20 balls. Roll in white corn meal, deep fry 3-4 minutes as you like... I make puddles of lemon juice, tartar sauce, hot sauce on my plate and drag the crispy balls thru at least one just before popping in my mouth... Haven't tried malt vinegar... Pairs well with malt beverage...

    ReplyDelete