Friday, May 9, 2014

planting a few vegetables

The grocery had a bin of potato 'slips' or 'sets'  - not sure what they are called...but they're the potatoes that are for planting to grow...potatoes!

I bought one big one with a lot of eyes to see if  I could grow potatoes in my new raised bed.


I read that you should cut the potato into chunks - leaving at least two 'eyes' on each chunk.

Then they need to sit for a couple of days to dry out those cut edges.  Then dig a trench about 4" deep and put them in the ground. Cover them with only half the soil you dug from the trench for now...the rest will go in later.


I have a few beets coming up. After I took this picture I realized there were 2 plants growing together here and so I pulled one out.

My snow peas are growing. I know this looks dry...I took the pictures just before watering.

Here is the kale.


And this evening I planted zucchini seeds, butternut squash seeds, and cucumber seeds. This sounds like a lot in this little garden but the peas and kale will fizzle out when the weather gets hot so they will be out of the way.  

I still want to get a couple of cherry tomato plants ,too. They haven't been available both times I've looked for them. I always get the "Sweet 100s".

Now, all planted and watered!





No comments:

Post a Comment