Saturday, May 17, 2014

a short cut method?

I started cutting fabric for my next quilt and discovered that I need 480 of these half square triangle units.


 Yep, 480.

The book that  I'm using for the pattern shows this method as a short cut for making these units...
First, cut a rectangle 7 x 13 from both your light fabric and your dark fabric. Place them right sides together with light fabric on top.
With a pencil and a ruler, draw this grid of  2 7/8" squares on the light fabric. Draw diagonal lines as indicated.


Sew a seam 1/4" away on each side of the diagonal lines (only). Remember the dark fabric is underneath.


This is how it will look..

Now, carefully cut on ALL the lines..this is what you  should have...

Open them up...and there are your half square triangle units! It makes 24 of them.

 Press them open and trim off the dog ears.

I didn't actually time how long it took to do these. I am sure it would be quicker after I did it a few times...but I think I will probably use a different method. The drawing of lines and all the different angles when cutting seems like extra steps rather than a shortcut. 
And what I really don't like is the wasted fabric around the edges when the large sewn rectangle is cut. The extra is there only to pivot as you are sewing those diagonal lines (I guess).

I am off to try something else!



No comments:

Post a Comment