Thursday, May 8, 2014

strawberries again - this time..jam!

A sale on strawberries this week - $1.69 pint! I decided to make some freezer jam...even though these strawberries could have been a bit more ripe.


I really believe strawberries used to taste better when they were smaller. These big ones are white inside and hollow. This photo is a little deceiving because the strawberry is in the foreground...but it was a huge berry.


I chopped up the berries and crushed them a little in the stand mixer.


I should have checked the measurement of the crushed berries at this point to be sure it was the correct amount for the recipe...but I didn't. I added the sugar and mixed a little more. When sugar was dissolved I poured in the prepared jelling mixture...and mixed.


That's all you have to do! Ladle into clean jars or plastic containers. It will need to be frozen...the jars are not sealed. That's why I like this type of jam...it has a good fresh taste because the berries are never cooked or heated.

Not happy with this foamy-ness, though. Caused by the mixer, I guess.


Foamy in the jars too - but it doesn't affect the taste.  


This is why I think my measurements were off...it's not quite jelled enough.
Mmmm...on a bagel with a smear of peanut butter...


Or how about on a biscuit with butter?

I would like to find some farm stand strawberries and make another batch of this jam. Maybe later this month? I'll keep my eyes open for a u-pick farm...maybe not to pick 'em...just to buy 'em!

No comments:

Post a Comment