Thursday, May 29, 2014

country fried steak

This was Sunday Dinner, Country Fried Steak.   It's not something we have real often even though it is quick and easy to fix.

I watch for a price break on the chopped steaks at the grocery. They are not ground like hamburger - just thin and cross-cut so they cook quickly. Look for the ones without a lot of white fat/gristle/connective tissue in them.


I make enough for the boys to take home leftovers. Just salt and pepper each side and give them a good coating of flour.


Fry them in a good amount of bacon grease. Don't overcook or they can get tough!


I set the fried steaks aside in a baking dish while I make the gravy.  Gravy is not my best thing but this time it came out pretty good. I thickened skillet drippings with flour, added salt and pepper, milk, half&half, and chicken soup base for flavor.

All right!

Then I pour it over the fried steaks waiting in the baking dish and keep it warm in the oven until everything is ready to go on the table. 


Really, after I took this picture I smothered the biscuit with gravy too and I might have put more on the steak!


Easy to reheat leftovers. Just warm up the meat in the gravy in a nonstick skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment