Friday, May 23, 2014

a stupid chunk of concrete

Late last summer we had a crumbling concrete porch broken up and replaced with decking. When the demolition guys were here, I asked them to set aside a big concrete step from the 
porch. I thought I could use it in another area where we have a step down.

WRONG!

The thing was way heavier than I imagined. No way to maneuver to the place where I wanted it.  Really no way to move it anywhere!

I decided I would chip away a little at a time...until it was small enough to move.

Here it is with tools so you can better see how big it is. At one point we attempted to drag it up on that pallet...thinking maybe it could be pulled along the ground easier...sort of like a sled.


Junior gave it a couple of big wallops with a maul and it hardly fazed it.


We thought it might break in two.    Biggie-size this picture to see the moment of impact!

Nope.

At least he was able to turn the whole thing over for me...so it would be easier to break up on the rocky underside.
It turns out there was a metal pipe sticking straight out the bottom...there's no way it could have been dragged.





A couple of little frogs had been hanging out underneath while all this was going on.

Surely they must have been stunned or struck deaf.


They hopped away like everything was fine.



So here is how it looks now. Making a little progress.

You can eat an elephant. One bite at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment