Friday, May 30, 2014

cutting more half square triangles

I have been working on cutting and sewing  480 of these  ... 2  1/2" square units. 


This is a method that seems the quickest and easiest to me. I am using a special ruler..the Easy Angle Ruler.

So to get started, you layer your light and dark fabrics with right sides together...and cut a strip half inch larger than your finished square should be. So in my case, that's a 3" strip.

I flipped the layers here to show up better in photos.

Now, you find the line on the Easy Angle ruler that is the desired size of your finished square. Line it up along the edge of the fabric and cut.  Mine is the 2 1/2" line. Now flip the ruler and make the next cut. Continue down the length of your strip.

Sew along the long side of the triangle then press open for your finished square (like in the top photo).

I took my little machine out on the back porch and got a bunch of these sewn. Usually I would sit at a taller table but since these were small and I didn't have a lot of other stuff to spread out - this worked just fine.

Actually maybe even better...a good visual angle for what was going through the machine!




No comments:

Post a Comment