Monday, May 19, 2014

birthday cake

We were celebrating Junior's birthday so I baked a BIG cake.

Cake mixes are smaller than they used to be but the instructions are still to bake in the same size pans...producing a thin, sad looking little cake.
I decided to bake two cakes using these nice 9" square cake pans.



I baked them at 320 degrees hoping the corners wouldn't burn before the middle was done. It worked out pretty well...the chocolate one's corners were a little crispy.

How do you like this platter I painted at one of those "paint your own pottery" places? 


I sliced each cake into 2 layers.


And stacked them up with a thin layer frosting in between - Buttercream Frosting with a tablespoon of cocoa added to cut the sweetness a bit.


About this time I realized I hadn't bought any whipping cream that I usually use for the outside frosting.
I drove down to Kroger and was hurrying in so fast that my shoe flew off in the parking lot! 
I don't think anyone saw, though!




I found this Creamsicle ice cream to go with the orange cake. It was good!


Junior had been talking about getting a toaster oven and had this one on his wish list. It's a pretty nice one. It has a rounded back so it can hold a large pizza and hopefully some of his cast iron bakeware.


I also gave him a few packages of muffin mixes so he can try it out right away.
Happy Birthday, little dude!









No comments:

Post a Comment